In an age where tension and stress have become routine, people have to constantly come up with new ways to keep themselves de-stressed and rejuvenated. The European Union has legalized the use of Cannabidiol — a cannabinoid that is known to treat depression and other physical and psychological ailments. Before we move to the benefits of this constituent of hemp plant, it is important to know what Cannabidiol is and how it works. Cannabis plants are made up of over 113 active cannabiniods. However, not all cannabinoids are psychoactive. When a person consumes cannabis, the psychoactive cannabinoids interact with each other and with the mind to create an alternate state which people perceive as being ‘high’. Cannabidiol is not psychoactive — this means that it does not react with the mind and thus, does not intoxicate the body. This is precisely the reason why Cannabidiol and other non-psychoactive hemp products have been legalized in the EU. Cannabis has THC or tetrahydrocannabinol. Our brain is cluttered with cannabinoid receptors. When a person consumes marijuana, THC reaches the brain. Once in the brain, THC adhere themselves to cannabis receptors and activate them. This affects a person’s memory, coordination, movement, time sensibility, etc. In some people, it also causes anxiety and depression. This alternate state of mind is actually an intoxicated stage.
Cannabidiol, on the other hand, works very similarly, but it does not meddle with the functioning of the brain. When CBD reacts with body’s Endocannabinoid system (ECS), endocannabinoid receptors facilitate the production of Endocannabinoid lipids which facilitate inter-cell communication and produce a soothing effect on the body. Unlike THC, CBD does not induce sleep or lethargy. On the contrary, it makes a person more active and energetic. As a matter of fact, cannabidiol is known to dampen the effect of THC Cannabidiol is known to treat many physical ailments. Other than working with body’s ECS, it also reacts with the CB1 receptors present in the brain. When cannabidiol comes in contact with CB1 receptors, it creates anti-convulsive and anti-seizure effects. Cannabidiol also reacts with another kind of receptors present in the spleen called CB2 receptors. This creates an anti-inflammatory effect on the body, which helps the body fight any infection. Other than being a natural anti-depressant and anodyne, Cannabidiol can actively help in treating many different physical and psychological ailments. Here are a few of them:
1. CBD is known to be sebostatic and thus, it can be used to treat acne and other skin-related problems.
2. Cannabidiol is known to minimize the working of prions. Prions are pathogens that cause neurodegenerative diseases like the mad-cow disease and the Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
3. It is also effective in controlling multiple sclerosis. Its anti-pain properties reduce muscle spasms and stiffness, thereby allowing patients to walk and sleep well.
4. Cannabidiol can be used to treat epilepsy. Epilepsy is a neurological disorder in which the patient has to constantly deal with sensory disturbances. CBD’s anti-seizure character can be effectively used to treat epilepsy.
5. CBD can also be used to treat concussion and post-traumatic stress disorders. Its neuro-protective properties help the brain to fight injuries. At the same time, its anti-inflammatory properties create a soothing effect.
6. Cannabidiol is also known to treat Alzheimer’s and bipolar disease.
There are two ways to extract CBD. First, it can be extracted from marijuana plants that are grown for the specific purpose of CBD production. However, these medical marijuana plants, along with CBD, can contain high amounts of THC. THC affects the body in negative ways and thus, CBD in the form of medical marijuana is illegal and can be obtained only if you have a prescription from a certified doctor. On the other hand, hemp plants contain very little THC but high CBD. This is why cannabidiol obtained from hemp plants in legal and can be bought without a prescription.
Cannabidiol relaxes your body without intoxicating it. Its advantages are innumerable and this is precisely why it is legal in United States and certain other countries. It has been scientifically proved that a small dosage of CBD will give you some peace of mind without hampering the normal functioning of your body.